US, International, and USAREUR Licenses

US, International, and USAREUR Licenses

Before traveling, know which driving permits you’ll need to ensure you’re always covered when driving overseas.

German Licenses

Can be obtained two ways:

Prior to Arrival:

Complete the following training in order through JKO Course Catalog:

  1. U.S. Forces Driver's Training Program for Europe (Prefix: "USA" and Course Number: "-007")
  2. U.S. Forces Driver's Training Program for Europe -Final Course Exam (Prefix: "USA" and Course Number: "-007-B")

After Arrival:

During in-processing, it will be mandatory for you to take a one day course on driving in Germany, followed by an exam. After successfully completing the exam, you will be given a USAREUR driver's license. This license allows you to drive anywhere in Germany, but is not recognized in other countries.

Preparing for the Exam

AEP 190-34 is the U.S. Army Europe Driver's Handbook. This contains all of the information that will be tested on during your USAEUR driver's license exam.

Motorcycle Licenses

Motorcyclists should attempt to complete all required motorcycle training and stateside license endorsement actions prior to arrival in Europe as courses are not offered as frequently as they are in the U.S.

IAW the Status of Forces Agreement, US Army Europe (USAREUR), is not allowed to issue a motorcycle license or motorcycle endorsement to Soldiers, dependents and U.S. Civilians that do not already have one on their U.S. license prior to arrival in Germany.

The USAREUR license is nothing more than a translation of a valid U.S. license. It is very difficult to obtain a motorcycle license in USAREUR if you don’t already have one.

Click here for more information on motorcycle licenses.

International Driving

Outside of Germany, most countries will not recognize a U.S. or a USAREUR license. To drive through neighboring countries, you will need to purchase an International Driving Permit  ($20, renewed yearly) at least 4 weeks before traveling, apply by mail or in-person at AAA or The NAC (the 2 agencies authorized by the State Department to issue IDPs).