77th FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT
The 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery, "Falcons," was first constituted 1 July 1916, then on 1 November, 1917, the 77th Field Artillery was assigned to the 4th Division. The Battalion distinguished itself during four campaigns in World War I: Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne 1918, and Lorraine 1918.
The 77th Field Artillery was relieved from assignment to the 4th Division on 24 March 1923 and assigned to the 7th Division until it was relieved on 1 January 1930 and reassigned to the 4th Division.
The battalion was activated on 1 January, 1935 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and assigned once again to the 4th Division and then relieved from assignment on 16 October, 1939.
The unit was reconstituted on 20 December 1956 in the Regular Army as Battery A, 634th Field Artillery Rocket Battalion and activated on 1 January 1957 at Fort Hood, Texas. It was reorganized and redesignated on 25 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Missile Battalion, 77th Artillery. The battalion deactivated on 25 June 1959 in Germany.
The unit redesignated on 1 July 1960 as the 1st Howitzer Battalion, 77th Artillery, assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division, and activated in Korea where they redesignated on 1 September 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 77th Artillery. The battalion rejoined the 4th Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington and deployed to Vietnam in October 1966. During Vietnam, the regiment’s battalions served with the 4th Infantry Division, the 25th Infantry Division, and the 1st Cavalry Division and participated in 13 campaigns. The artillerymen of the 77th Field Artillery Regiment returned to stateside duty after five years of combat in 1971.
During the Battalion’s five years in Vietnam, the battalion was awarded a Presidential Citation, a Valorous Unit Award, a Civil Action Honor Medal-First Class, and three Crosses of Gallantry from the Republic of Vietnam.
In April 1971, 1-77th Field Artillery returned to Fort Hood, Texas from Vietnam with the 1st Cavalry Division. The Battalion was redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery and then deactivated and relieved from assignment to the 1st Cavalry Division on 16 June 1986.
The Battalion was assigned to the 194th Armored Brigade and activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky on 17 August 1986. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery, was reorganized and redesignated on 17 September 1990 as Battery A, 77th Field Artillery. Battery A, 77th Field Artillery was deactivated on 29 June 1995 at Fort Knox, Kentucky, and relieved from assignment to the 194th Armored Brigade.
Battery A, 77th Field Artillery was redesignated on 16 June 1996 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery, and activated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The unit was activated as a Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) Battalion, assigned to the 75th Field Artillery Brigade, III Corps Artillery.
The unit was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 1st Battalion, 77th Field Artillery Regiment. It deactivated on 15 March 2007 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
The Battalion was assigned to the 172nd Infantry Brigade on 16 March 2008 and activated in Schweinfurt, Germany and deactivated on 31 May, 2013.
27 September 2020 marks the start of a new era for the Falcon Battalion, as they embark on a new beginning, activated under the 41st Field Artillery (Railgunner) Brigade in Grafenwoehr, Germany.