589th BRIGADE SUPPORT BATTALION
The 589th BSB was originally constituted 31 July 1944 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 589th Quartermaster Battalion, Mobile. The unit was officially activated 29 July 1944 in England.
On 1 August 1946 the 589th was converted and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 589th Quartermaster Battalion. It was later inactivated 20 June 1948 in France. On 5 October 1948 the 589th was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 425th Quartermaster Battalion, allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps, and assigned to the Third Army and was activated 19 October 1948 at Tampa, Florida.
Inactivated on 1 December 1950 at Tampa, Florida
Redesigned 15 January 1952 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 589th Quartermaster Battalion, withdrawn for the Organized Reserve Corps and allotted to the Regular Army.
On 31 January 1952 at Fort Lee, Virginia the 589th was activated and shortly after inactivated on 10 December 1957 at Fort Lee, Virginia.
Redesignated 10 May 1967 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 589th Supply and Service Battalion and activated 15 August 1967 at Fort Hood, Texas. It was Inactivated 20 December 1968 at Fort Hood, Texas.
On 6 July 2004 the unit was redesignated as the 589th Support Battalion and placed into the newly formed 4th Infantry Divisions Fires Brigade as part of the Army’s modular transformation. As of January 2006, 589th Support Battalion, part of the 4th Infantry Division's Fires Brigade, had been operating out of Camp Liberty, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
On 2 June 2015 the 589th Brigade Support Battalion was inactivated at Ft. Hood, TX as a result of the 41st Field Artillery Brigade Transformation to the 1st Cavalry Division Artillery (DIVARTY).
On 11 January 2019 the 589th Brigade Support Battalion was reactivated in Grafenwöhr to support 41st Field Artillery Brigade